USB Flash Drives are an integral part of our everyday activity. This is not as result of any latest tech trend, but is a personal need due to our technology related lifestyle. I suppose that kids use USB sticks to store their favorite games and cartoons, students use it as a medium where they can store their home work, projects, lectures, presentations, books, movies and music, our parents use them for storing their work stuff like documents and projects.
In general, USB Flash Drives are all around us and they definitely are the best way to carry all kind of digital data. Besides all the positive features that USB Sticks give to us, the negative ones like viruses can be can be easily avoided just by being careful where you put it.
However, sometimes USB Sticks can be annoying because of their slow transfer rate which is due to a various factors like: USB Stick version ( USB 1.1, 2.0 or 3.0), this also is related to the USB Port version of your PC (USB 1.1, 2.0 or 3.0), PC configuration etc. I know that you get bored when you have to wait 10 minutes to transfer a 100mb file, so here I’m going to show you an awesome trick that will help you boost the file transfer speed of your USB Flash Drive. In order to achieve this you should perform two quick tweaks to your USB Flash Drive. But before we start doing it, I would like to show you the results I got while copying an 183MB PSD file into my USB Flash Drive befor tweaking it. The file transfer speed in average is 2.57MB/second.
Tweak nr. 1
This tweak is a preparation, so it just optimizes your USB Stick for better performance by enabling write caching but with this option selected you have to use the Safely Remove Hardware option when you want to disconnect it from your PC or laptop.
1. Attach your USB Flash Drive, go to My Computer, locate the drive, right click on it and select Properties.
2. Now the Properties Windows will appear in front of you. Continue to the Hardware section by clicking on the Hardware Tab. All the attached in you system will appear in a list. Here you have to find your USB Flash Drive, select it and click the Properties button.
3. In the new window go to the Policies Tab and from the Removal policy section select the Better performance option and click OK.
Tweak nr. 2
This is the tweak that will definitely help you boost the file transfer speed of your USB Flash Drive with amazing results. You will achieve it by formatting the USB Stick in NTFS format. To do that, just follow the steps below.
1. Go to My Computer, locate your USB Flash Drive, right click on it and select Format.
2. In the Format window go to the File System drop down menu, select the NTFS file system and click the Start button.
After the format is finished your USB Flash Drive is ready to serve you with his full capacities. I’ve tested it again by copying the same file that I showed you in the beginning and the results I got are amazing, the file transfer speed the same USB Flash Drive was 111MB/second.
Hope you liked it guys. I suggest you to try this trick and enjoy his benefits. If you have something to add or ask feel free to use the comment form below.